I'm gathering together here some of my chamber larp scripts and other things from recent years. Do let me know if you run any of these – it'd be great to hear how they went!
Read about, and download, larps!
- Keep It in the Family (2015) – a tense chamber larp for 6 participants
- Women on the Verge… / These Are the Days of Our Lives (2015) – a female chamber larp for 4–6 participants
- Real Men (with Kevin Burns, 2015) – a male chamber larp for 6–8 participants
- The Life of Mermaids (with Jouni Karppinen, Mira Suovanen, and Olga Rudak, 2016) – a damp chamber larp for 4–6 participants
- ‘Heroes’ (2016) – a heroic freeform / chamber larp for 4–5 participants
- The Best Medicine (2017) – a hilarious chamber larp for 5–8 participants
- The Drinklings (with Anna-Karin Linder, 2018) – a bibulous chamber larp for 4–8 participants
- Experimental Findings (2018) – a scientific outdoor larp for 5 participants
- Fake News (2018) – a spinning chamber larp for 2–6 participants
- Life Lessons (2018) -- an artistic chamber larp for 5–12 participants
- Five for Silver (2018) – a repetitive chamber larp for 12 participants
- Primal Soup (2018) – a protozoan hot-tub larp for 4–8 participants
- Trauma Ward (2019) – a supine chamber larp for 4 participants
- Passing (2016–2019) – a prejudiced microlarp for 3–6 participants
Some of them have got lacunae where references or more detailed explanations are yet to be completed – but they're all basically runnable from these scripts.
Still to come
Others that might appear here in due course:
- Freakshow (with Traci Whitehead, 2015)
- It's Just a Stage (with Karolina Soltys, 2016)
- The Baby Club (with David Owen and Jamie Harper, 2016)
- Asking For It (with Laura Wood, 2017)
- Life of a House (with Ruth Trenery-Leach and Will Osmond, 2017)
- The Ghosts of London (2017)
- Still Waters (2019)
- Dirty Laundry (with Holger Pick, 2019)
- The Outsiders (with Cat Tobin, 2013) already has its own website, as does;
- None but the Brave (with Traci Whitehead, 2014), as does;
- On Location (with Karolina Soltys, Kate Bennett, Laura Wood, Michael Such, and Will Osmond, 2017; and with Elina Gouliou, Laura Wood, and Will Osmond, 2019) which is not a chamber larp but is still pretty cool.
Not written by Mo
Also here, although not written by me (but all the more brilliant for that: it's by Alisa Matavilava, Yauheniya Siadova, and Nastassia Sinitsyna):
- Bring Your Own Bottle (2015)
And not here, and not written by me either – it's by Malcolm Campbell – but inspired by one of my larps:
- 21st Century Fake News (2019)
Writing for others
Organizing and editing stuff
I'm an organizer of The Game Kitchen, and of The Smoke: London's International Larp Festival, and of Just a Little Lovin' 2019 UK. I'm an editor at Nordic Larp, and have contributed editing work to several KP-books.
As well as writing larps, I also write about larps. Thank you to Lorraine Kipling for suggesting how to organize these!
About political (loosely) matters
- 'Orientalism and exoticism', on the Ginger Goat blog, May 2014
- 'Larp and Prejudice: Expressing, Erasing, Exploring, and the Fun Tax', in the 2016 Solmukohta companion book
- 'Walking in the Darkness: handling race in Lovecraftesque', in Lovecraftesque
- 'What Does it Mean When Sex is Sexy?', with Monica Hjort Traxl, on nordiclarp.org, February 2017
- 'History, Herstory, and Theirstory: Representation of Gender and Class in Larps with a Historical Setting', in the 2017 Knutepunkt companion book and also on nordiclarp.org, February 2017
About design techniques etc
- 'Workshop Practice, in Practice', in the 2015 Knudepunkt companion book and also on nordiclarp.org, April 2016
- 'Real Men – Defining Gender Identities', with Kevin Burns, in the 2016 Nordic Larp Yearbook and also on nordiclarp.org, November 2016
- Two articles and contributed to a third in the 2019 Knudepunkt companion book, which isn't online yet
- 'High on Larp: Alcohol at Larp Events', on nordiclarp.org, March 2017
- 'The Blue Ribbon Collective', on nordiclarp.org, March 2017
Reviews of activity / explainers
- 'Pillage the Vikings!', with Ole Peder Giæver, on nordiclarp.org, July 2014
- 'Nordic-style larp in the UK', on nordiclarp.org, July 2014
- 'What's the big deal about Nordic larp?', on larping.org, October 2014
- 'Opening the Chamber of Secrets – an introduction to chamber larp', on larping.org, May 2015 [Evidently larping.org has ditched some of its old content: thank you, Wayback Machine.]
- 'Non-nominated Fastaval Scenarios', on the Plan B blog, April 2016
- 'On Location: Playing, with Expectations', with Laura Wood, at the 2018 Nordic Larp Talks (here's the powerpoint)
- Me being part of a panel of 'Larpers of Colo(u)r', at Knutpunkt 2018
- 'Fleshing the Skeleton – How to empower players to make characters their own', at the 2019 Nordic Larp Talks (here's the powerpoint)
- 'About The Smoke', at LarpCon 2019
- Games! All sorts of different ones. mostly holds reviews and stray thoughts and ideas about games. In recent years it's pretty much been about larp.
Other game-related bits
- I wrote a scenario for Lovecraftesque, called 'Darkness Visible', which you can get here.
- And one for Cthulhu Dark, called 'Good as a Feast', which I'm not sure if you can actually get hold of... it was released as a pdf with the Kickstarter..
- And a setting for Flotsam, called 'The Big Hot'. At the moment it's still in press.
- I've done copy-editing and proofreading for a load of games, including Amazing Tales and the Itras by Menagerie.